Before you start!
- Important: before installing the app visit Atlassian Marketplace and check which Jira versions are compatible with BigPicture.
To check for updates make sure you have an Internet connection and check the Manage apps section of the Jira administration.
We do recommend to backup your Jira and check the release notes for any known bugs and planned changes such as migration to a new module.
In case you encounter any problems use your backup and follow the reporting procedure and provide us with Jira logs.
- We do not recommend a rollback to an earlier version. Use the backup and install the exact version which was installed when the backup was created.
After BigPicture app is upgraded or enabled, the app runs a full scope synchronization process of all existing active (not closed) Programs. As a result, there is an increased probability that all active Programs will be synchronized once a user wants to open a given Program and start working with it.
Installing BigPicture app in Jira
We recommend to install the app using the Atlassian's Universal Plugin Manager which will always install the latest version and - what's more important - the one compatible with your Jira instance.
You have to be logged in as an Jira admin in order to install the app - go to Jira Administration → Manage apps → Find new apps; and search for "BigPicture".
Curious about BigPicture Enterprise? Click /wiki/spaces/DOCUMENTATION/pages/275648486 to learn more about it!
If your instance is not connected to the Internet, or you would like to test a specific version, visit this website to see all available versions. Be careful to choose the right version for your Jira instance! When sure, click on the desired version to expand its row. Hit "Download" on the right-hand side.
The only thing left is to upload the file to Jira. This can be done in Jira Administration → Manage apps → Manage apps. Select "Upload app" on the right-hand side.
Important: Note that some problems may occur with upgrading your tasks after an update between two versions of the app, e.g. 8.0.2 → 8.3.0. To make sure all of your tasks are updated the right way, upload the intermediate versions and refresh the Home page of the plugin.
- Create a backup of your database.
- Uninstall BigPicture from your Jira instance.
- Download BigPicture version 8.1.12 from the Marketplace, install it and proceed with any required steps to activate the app (such as upgrading the app database schema after opening it - go to the Home directory). If BigPicture works properly in this version, please proceed to the next step. If there are any errors, please let us know about them and provide a new Jira Support zip file.
- Check if the app works properly in version 8.1.12 - if yes, please perform the upgrade to the newest version from Jira Administration > Manage apps. If there are any errors, please provide a new Jira Support zip file.
The App is always automatically updated to the newest version.
Jira Server / Jira Data Center
Jira Admin can update the App.
- Go to Jira Administration > Manage apps
- Select Manage apps on the left
- Click Update button next to the app
- After the update is complete, go to the App.
- Perform a database schema upgrade
Handling incompatibility of the App with Jira 9
To update Jira to version 9, the user must install the transitional version of BP version 8.1.12. This version will update the BP database, and you get the following screen about successful data migration and now you should update the App to a version compatible with Jira 9.