Before generating a dump file, upgrade the app (to version 8.2.2 or higher).
The steps below describe how to migrate from Server to Cloud using Jira XML + BigPicture/BigGantt snapshot.
Before you proceed, please read the following instructions carefully and copy all the steps to a clipboard to keep them at hand. Make sure to complete each step:
- Create a backup of the app data
- Create a backup of your Jira environment
- Restore Jira data on a new cloud environment
- Install the app on the cloud environment
- Restore the app backup on Jira cloud
Step 1 - Create a BigPicture/BigGantt backup of your server instance and download it
- Go to BigPicture/BigGantt App configuration > Advanced > Database dumps
- Click the New dump button. Add a description and confirm by clicking the Create dump button.
You will be able to track the progress:
- The new database dump should appear at the top of the list of backups.
- Press the Download button to save the backup file to the disk (if you don't see the item on the list, refresh the page).
Step 2 - Create a Jira backup and download it
Perform Jira XML backup and import (see below).
Don't use the Atlassian JCMA tool.
Go to System > Backup system and create Backup
Step 3 - Restore the Jira backup on the Cloud environment
Go to System > Restore System and Import data
Step 4 - Install BigPicture on the Cloud environment.
- Go to Jira Apps > Find New Apps and search for the BigPicture plugin
- Install the plugin and enter a valid license
Step 5 - Restore the App database
- Go to BigPicture App Configuration > Advanced > Database dumps
- Upload DB dump (that you have created earlier on the server) by pressing the Import button
- Confirm the next step
- Check the confirmation box and press the Next button
Confirm the operation by entering the word RESTORE and then press the Restore button
if the BigPicture instance is not new and some work has already been done on it, this work will be overwritten! BigPicture will automatically dump its current state before performing the restore operation (so that the process can be reversed).
- Map the users from server to the users on the cloud side
During Server to Cloud migration, the process of automatic user assignment will be performed (the matching is based on the users' email addresses). There may be a situation where not all users on the Server side will be matched to the users on the Cloud side. In this case, manually assign users that were not mapped in the automated process (if there are too few users on the JC side, they need to be created before the restore operation):
If there are a lot of unmatched users (more than 20-30), it may mean that the data from Jira was not migrated correctly. In this case, verify that the user data has been migrated.
- The database recovery process will start
After the recovery process is complete, the migration from one instance to another is over. You can go to the BigPicture application and verify the correctness of the data.
Any integration instances after the restore operation will be in a “not operational” state.
This mechanism is to prevent a situation where two applications make changes in the same integration instance at the same time.
To activate selected integrations, move the switch in the Active column in the App Configuration → Integrations → Connections panel.