I have added the Report Macro and can see in the Admin that there are responses but the macro is blank on the page where I have added it.
The App requires a delimiter to be the same as what your Database uses. The default is set to the most common.
Update your setting to the same type as your database uses if you are not using a standard Database.
This is found in the Admin App Settings.
If you or the Admin are unsure what delimiter your database uses, you can work through all the options. Make sure to save after every change and refresh the page.
If none of them work for you please reach out to our support team