The Objectives module (formerly "Roadmap") is a high-level board based on the concept of an agile schedule made up of Program Increments.
You can configure your Roadmap for Program Increments of specific duration. Once your Roadmap is properly configured, you can set your objectives for the coming PI.
There are two types of Objectives you can add to this Board:
- Jira Issue-based Objectives
- Basic Objectives
You can also track the status of your Objectives — see if they are still open, completed, failed, or abandoned, etc.
SAFe®-based Objectives module (formerly "Roadmap") is an effective tool that allows you to manage Program Increments and Iteration objectives.
Compared to the Board module, it focuses on high-level planning including forecasts and commitments, rather than particular tasks.
Also, this module lets you communicate what your Teams are working on to everyone interested.
Before the first use, you need to create sub-Boxes (such as Program Increments and Iterations).
The table below describes the Roadmap's main features:
You can change the status of a Timebox in the Overview module or by clicking the "Info" icon in the Timebox header.
- Not started – will be executed in the future so it is still under planning
- In progress – current Timebox
- Closed – already completed
All the following transitions between statuses are allowed (edit mode needs to be enabled first).
Use this mode to hide Jira's and shared app headers.
There are two levels of reporting by the status of objectives:
- Upper level (for example: Program Increment or Project phase)
- Lower level (for example: Iteration)
Select the agile Teams to be displayed on the Roadmap.
Read more about Teams.
|Timeline with markers|
Dynamic timeline with "Today" and "Zoom" buttons. Click on the timeline arrows to navigate between Iteration and Program Increments or to add a Marker or an important event.
Change the scale to fit up to three Program Increments in the current view.
You can choose between several view modes to display the information you need:
- Select the compact mode to fit in more goals and objectives
- Change the Achievement data count by Status or Business Value
- Heatmap mode - Enable this mode to color code objectives. You can color them manually or based on the Objective status. For example, color coding can represent the health status using the traffic light convention
Swimlanes are displayed in alphabetical order and cannot be rearranged. You can expand/collapse all swimmlanes by clicking above them.
Sort objectives in ascending or descending order by:
- Probable Business Value
- Actual Business Value
To unlock the export features, install the BigTemplate App from the Atlassian Marketplace.
PDF image export requires NodeJS installation. If you do not see the "PDF image" export option, click here for more information.
You can Export the Board module data using the "Export" button:
|Adding and editing objective|
Goals and objectives can be defined as:
- Uncommitted (i.e. not included in the Achievement)
Each objective can be set using:
- Basic objectives – just like with basic tasks, such objectives will only be visible in the app and not in Jira
- Jira issues – pick from the list of created Jira issues. Any issue type can be an objective but it is recommended to have a dedicated issue type for the purpose
Review the objectives (as in SAFe during the System Demo) and change their status using the following options:
- Completed – the objective is completed and will not be moved to the next box
- Failed – the objective will be moved to the next box
- Abandoned – the objective will not be moved to the next box
- Continue – the objective will be continued in the next box
- Set as stretch – additional objective with variable value (if time permits)