Start/End date fields
These fields determine the start and end positions of the task on the timeline.
If you want to use a different field, it is possible to overwrite Jira task data with data from BigPicture. When you select a different field than the one currently used, you will be able to switch on the "Overwrite Jira task data with data from the App" option below.
This action is irreversible.
In general, there are three main strategies for task synchronization:
- Not synchronized - use this option if you do not want to update Jira issues while still being able to plan using the Gantt module. Changes to date estimates will not sync to Jira, which means that task start and end dates might differ from the estimates in Jira issues.
- Two 'Date picker' (or 'Date time picker') fields - recommended when assignees work on multiple tasks simultaneously.
- One 'Date picker' (or 'Date time picker') field and a time estimate field (Original estimate or Time spent + Remaining estimate) - recommended for working on one task at a time.
From the 8.15 version of BigPicture :
When the “Start date” field is synchronized with “Start date” and the “End date” field is synchronized with “End date”:
- Changes made to the start and end dates resize a task.
When the “Start date” field is synchronized with “Original Estimate” and the “End date” field is synchronized either to “Original Estimate” or “Time Spent + Remaining Estimate”:
Start/end dates mapped to estimate fields
- Start date
- can be mapped to Original Estimate
- End date
- can be mapped to Original Estimate or
- Time Spent + Remaining Estimate
Note: Only one of the fields (either start or end date) can be mapped to an estimate. The other field must remain as a date field, such as the start/end date.
You can update the following values:
- star/end date
- task duration
- the estimate field
Updates can be done by:
- change of a field value, for example by editing a value in a column in BigPicture
- adjustment of a task position and length on a Gantt chart
New start/end value (inline editing or update of a field on Jira issue page)
Behavior is the same regardless of mapping:
- change of the start date results in a task being moved.
- change of the end date results in a task being resized. The estimate field and task duration field reflect the change. The start date is unaffected.
|start date updated
|end date updated
New task duration OR estimate field value
Behavior depends on the mapping:
- the date mapped to the estimate is adjusted
task duration updated
estimate value updated
Task position adjusted on the timeline
All fields are updated to reflect the task position on the timeline.
The "Respect Jira screen scheme" toggle switch applies to start/end date field mapping.